Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dream Snippets

My dreams are crazy when I'm ill. Most of them don't make any sense, but sometimes my dreams consist of snippets from the past. I'm not feeling well today, and have been doing a lot of sleeping. I just dreamed about some things that I did with my kids and the Camp Fire Boys & Girls. It was like reminiscing by dream, and actually quite pleasant. Some of those snippets in time follow.

I spread a clean white sheet on the living room floor. An extension cord was placed on the hot air popcorn popper, and it was placed in the middle of the sheet. I left the lid off the popper, gathered the kids around the popper in a circle--not too close so they didn't get hit with flying hot kernels. We let the popcorn explode all over the living room onto the white sheet and then ate the popcorn right off the floor.

Each spring the kids couldn't wait for the annual shave cream party. As soon as it was reasonably warm outside, we would gather the kids around the picnic table in the backyard. A blob of shave cream was placed in front of each child. The idea originally was to finger paint in the shave cream--but that never happened. It was much more fun to have a shave cream fight. When they were all covered with shave cream from head to toe, I'd grab the hose and hose them all down. Then one by one they were allowed to go back in the house and put on my old maternity smocks and Danny's old shirts. I sent their wet clothes home in plastic bags.

We were at Camp Fire camp (Camp Minaluta) one spring. One of the activities was to make masks of the kids' faces. One of the kids put plaster all over her face, but something went awry, and when the plaster dried it didn't come off like it was supposed to. I thought we were going to have to cut her out of the mask! The poor kid was more than a little frightened. In my dream I saw the panic in her eyes all over again.

The kids all loved to go canoeing in the lake at Camp Minaluta. The problem is that their fearless leader (me) was short, chubby, and prone to getting leg cramps. On one particular outing in the lake, the kids were having so much fun that they didn't want to go back to the dock for a long time. I didn't realize that my legs had fallen asleep. When we finally docked the canoe, the kids all jumped out and went all different directions, leaving the Camp Fire staff to try to get me and my heavy hiking boots out of the canoe. I think it would have been easier to dump the canoe upside down and let me swim to the surface!

I need to sleep some more. To sleep, perchance to dream.

1 comment:

  1. Gabrielle ValentineApril 13, 2010 at 1:12 AM

    Aren't dreams amazing? I love reading up on the meanings of the things I dream about in the dream dictionary. Not that I think everything is right on, but some of it is in line with what I'm going through in life. Hopefully you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete