Saturday, March 5, 2011

He-Man/She-Ra/Ezra


My children (especially my son Ezra) loved the He-Man/She-Ra cartoons when they were growing up.  Their cousins in Nevada didn't get that television channel.  We spent Christmas in Nevada every year at my sister's home.  It was a wonderful place to have Christmas!  My sister owned an old boarding house which was an historic building.  Christmas at Cheri and Dave's house was truly an old-fashioned Christmas.

As the years went on, however, it became time for us to stay home and have our own family traditions.  It was also getting to be quite a hassle to travel over Donner Summit with a car load of kids, gifts, and tubs of cookies fighting the weather.  I finally told my family that we wouldn't be going to Nevada for Christmas the next year.  Then my Dad died.  Cheri convinced me that we all needed to spend one last Christmas together.  So we made one last trek over Donner Summit to Dayton, Nevada.

The adults were all going through the motions for the kids, but we were really missing Dad.  Then two things happened:  1) The kids found the whoopee cushions that Santa left in their stockings (no other comment necessary); and 2) Ezra opened his inflatable He-Man sword.  Ezra's eyes became as big as baseballs.  He lifted the sword over his head yelling, "By the power of Grayskull, I HAVE THE POWER!"  His cousins looked at him like he was crazy nuts because they had no idea what he was doing -- and all we could do was laugh.

So I guess He-Man/She-Ra/Ezra/Whoopee Cushions saved Christmas that year.  In case you're wondering, my children did learn the following year that Christmas could be fun at our house too.

Recently, reruns of the old He-Man/She-Ra cartoons are being played on television.  Ezra is quite tickled that his little girls LOVE to watch them with him.  They love them as much as he did.

5 comments:

  1. I STILL don't think we get He-Man/She-Ra in Nevada in 2011! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! I'm 36 and grew up in Australia and on He-man! I have 2 kids, 3 and 5, and I just lost my Mum. When cleaning out her house I found my old toys, GI Joe, Transformers and He-man and introduced them to my kids. I found He-man on YouTube and played it for them, they loved it. Since then we have progressed into She-ra and found Matty Collector and have great battles. It's great how our childhood can come back and visit with us and even stay for a while!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed the post. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hi Laurie. I work for an advertising agency in Los Angeles and we are very interested in the photo of your son, Ezra, at the top of this blog holding the sword. Could you please contact me at dgrisham@rpa.com as soon as possible. This project is rather urgent ....I look forward to hearing from you at your earliest convenience. Best wishes - Deb Grisham

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Deb,
    I have sent you an e-mail. :)
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete