Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sitting at the Feet of the Prophet

Twice a year like clockwork my soul is revitalized. It's like sitting in a hospital bed with an I.V. in my arm pumping nutrients to keep me alive. The first weekends in April and October LDS General Conference is held in Salt Lake City, Utah. I've actually only been in Salt Lake City for conference once, but we're living in the age of technology. Our meeting houses have satellite dishes. Conference is also broadcast on cable television networks, and it can be viewed on the internet. I'm fortunate enough to have satellite television and can watch it in my own home.

The prophet and the apostles, as well as other leaders of the church, speak to us. It's always amazing to me how inspiring conference is, and how it personally touches my life. It gives me the needed boost of energy to keep trying for the next six months until conference time rolls around again. I find myself waiting for the printed version of the talks in the church magazine, the Ensign, the following month so that I can read, ponder, and study the words again.

How fortunate I am to live in a time when it is so easy to sit at the prophet's feet and be taught of spiritual things!

As I watched conference this weekend, I wrote down things that personally touched me. Our beloved prophet and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints taught that in order to understand the meaning of death, we must understand the purpose of life. He also said that we need to trust in the Lord. He wants us to re-read, study, and ponder the messages from conference. He asked us to look to the lighthouse of the Lord.

President Dieter F. Uchtdorf taught that every person we meet is a V.I.P. to our Heavenly Father. Elder Quentin Cook taught that we should slow down, be quiet, ponder, and pray. Elder Hallstrom said that if we feel wronged we must never give up, but must turn to the Lord. He said never let an earthly experience disable you spiritually. Elder Neil Andersen reminded us to tell our children the stories of Jesus and to teach them the gospel. He said our challenge as parents is to fan the flames of their spiritual core (or glow--I'm not sure I caught the right word).

Elder L. Tom Perry said about ten different ways that parents are responsible for the education of their children and are commanded to bring up their children in truth and light. Elder Christopherson warned us not to fall into spiritual illiteracy because we don't open the books. He said our need for the scriptures is greater now than at any other time.

I have many other things written in my notes, but I think what I have written here gives a taste of the wonderful messages that were given.

If you'd like to "fill your lamp" or receive a spiritual shot in the arm, you can view the sessions of conference here:

http://lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,23-1-1207,00.html

You can also view the individual messages on YouTube here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/MormonMessages#g/c/494091103E5880EA

I pray that all will take advantage of the opportunity to sit at the feet of the prophet and apostles and be taught.

1 comment:

  1. amen amen and amen...lotsa love to y'alls...harold

    ReplyDelete