Sunday, March 28, 2010

Missionary Apple Pudding Cake with Rum Sauce

My home is open during the holidays. The kids were always told when they were in college that if someone didn't have someplace to go for a holiday to bring them home. We have often had the missionaries in our home for holidays. There is always lots of food, and even if someone comes at the last minute, we can set another place at the table. If I know ahead of time, I always ask if they have a special recipe that is tradition in their family, and then I try to accommodate.

A few years ago we invited the missionaries for Christmas dinner. We thought we were going to have two missionaries, but at the last minute we had six, and that was wonderful! I had asked the original two missionaries in advance if they wanted me to make anything special. Elder Nelson was dying for his Dad's "Apple Rum Cake." He gave me his Dad's e-mail address, and I requested the recipe. His Dad was pretty embarrassed and quickly called me to explain that he uses rum extract, not real rum. I laughed and told him that I had been sure that was the case. He e-mailed me the recipe--and it is out of this world! In honor of Elder Nelson and all those people who have been willing to share their holidays with us over the years, the recipe is below.

APPLE PUDDING CAKE

Cream together:

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup margarine or oil
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla

Sift together and then add to the mixture above:

2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 to 1 teaspoon cloves
1/2 to 1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons soda

Fold in:

6 apples coarsely shredded
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Put in 9" X 13" cake pan, bake at 375 degrees for 40 minutes or 25 degrees lower if glass pan.

VANILLA RUM PUDDING SAUCE

1/4 cup butter
2 tablespoons flour
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 cup hot water
1/4 cup whipping cream
(Can use milk to replace water and cream)
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon rum extract

Over low heat, melt butter and stir in flour, salt, and sugar. Cook, gradually add hot water, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add vanilla and cream, and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until mixture is thick and smooth. Stir over pudding. Recipe makes 1 1/3 cups.

Elder Nelson's father triples or quadruples the recipe for the sauce, but that's a LOT of sauce. I usually double it and still have some left over.

No comments:

Post a Comment