Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sleep and Marriage

There's something to be said about sleep and a good marriage. I know the old saying, "Never go to bed angry." The idiot who said that apparently never considered that lack of sleep may very well be the cause of (or at least contributing factor to) the argument! The smarter person said, "Everything looks better in the morning."

I believe I have a pretty darned good marriage. I'm not going to lie and say that we've never had a single argument. If someone says that to me, my first thought is "chronic liar." My husband and I have had lots of arguments in the last 33 years. I commend him for at least fighting fair -- and I'm not always sure I've done the same.

One thing is for sure: if we have an argument at night when I'm tired, nothing is going to get accomplished without a good night's sleep. As a matter of fact, if I don't go to bed, it is guaranteed the argument will escalate into something extremely ugly.

So to my posterity: know your body and when it requires sleep. Forget the "never go to bed angry" thing. Everything always looks better in the morning!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, SLEEP solves a lot. Even if you wake up still angry, you realize that its not worth ruining ANOTHER day. For us, its also a realization that we aren't going to get through this morning UNLESS we talk to each other. I remember 3-day-no-talking-matches, but with a "not a morning person" child, that just doesn't work anymore -- and I realized I actually liked this man a lot more than I wanted to admit. ;)

    ReplyDelete