Friday, July 22, 2011

17 Miracles Review

This isn't my usual post.  I've just been to see the movie 17 Miracles, which is the true story of the Willie and Martin handcart companies.  There is nothing closer to my heart than the history of the handcart pioneers of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  My third great grandmother, Ingeborg Mortensen Jensen was a handcart pioneer.  Although she was not in the Willie or Martin handcart companies, she endured many trials.  (Please note that the link to Ingeborg shows a picture of the old metal grave marker.  A couple of years ago, my family put together "the Ingeborg fund," and placed a proper grave stone -- including the words "handcart pioneer" with her name and the proper dates.  I have sent a message to the owner of the website with that information.)

I found this movie compelling as a descendant of pioneer stock, but there are other reasons to see this movie.  It is a story of the human spirit.  It tells the story of those great immigrant Americans who paved the way for us today.  We are reminded of what we can be, if we hold fast to truth and righteousness.

If you have not yet seen 17 Miracles, I would highly recommend that you do -- whether you are a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon) or not.  Take a box of tissue with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment