Sunday, April 1, 2012

Reveling in the Warmth

As a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, I've just participated in a two-day event called General Conference where we hear speakers from the leaders of the church.  There are four general two-hour sessions and an extra session for the men (which the women can view on-line) over the weekend.  This happens twice a year; the first weekend in April, and the first weekend in October.

At the end of each conference, I marvel at the warmth I feel in my soul.  Conference is a time to take stalk of our lives, set new goals, and renew commitments with the Lord.

I've had the privilege the last couple of years to participate in on-line chatter via social media during conference.  We share conference quotes, impressions, thoughts, and ideas.  We make new friends in the process, and strengthen friendships with others. We have conversations with others not of our faith, and more friendships are formed.  I learn a lot from these people.

I don't own a laptop computer, or any fancy cell phone technology.  My computer is not in the same room with the television where I watch the sessions of conference.  So I participate on-line between sessions of conference.  This has forced me to take good notes during conference so that I can go back to the computer and talk about what I've heard.  Do you know how many years I've been told to take notes during conference?  Do you know how many years I ignored that counsel?  Well, I can now say that the counsel is wise.  I learn a lot from taking those notes.  :)

As conference came to a close today, I felt such a renewed commitment to the gospel.  I'm exhausted from two days of "filling my cup" and then talking about it on three different social media networks, but it's a good kind of tired.  It's the kind of tired that says, "you've got your work cut out for you, but it's okay because the Lord is there to help."

General Conference is not just for members of our faith, but for all people.  If you have never participated in a session of General Conference, I highly recommend that you watch a session or two on-line here.  You can watch the videos, listen to the audio, or download the texts.  (Texts may not be available for a few days.) Do yourself a favor and "fill your cup" and enlighten your mind.  Fill your heart with good things.

No comments:

Post a Comment